Natural disasters are actually more prevalent than you might think. Take a look at some of these facts and figures – they may surprise you.
- There were 63 natural disasters declared in the U.S. in 20071
- There were 2,018 fatalities and 5,326 injuries related to weather events from 2005 to 20062
- Of the total catastrophe losses (from 1986 to 2005) in the U.S., 47.5% were related to hurricanes and tropical storms3
- At least 41 states are considered at moderate to very high earthquake risk4
- On average, there are 800 tornadoes each year in the U.S. Tornadoes have occurred in all 48 continental U.S. states5